Lamar County, Mississippi Genealogy
Lamar County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Lamar Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Lamar County was established on March 13, 1904 from Marion County and Pearl River County. Currently the county was named in honor of Lucius Q. C. Lamar, U.S. Senator from Mississippi and U.S. Secretary of Interior.
The Lamar County Seat can be found in Purvis additionally, the county government website is www.lamarcounty.com
Regions neighboring Lamar County include Covington County (north), Forrest County (east), Pearl River County (south), Marion County (west) and Jefferson Davis County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Lamar County consist of Hattiesburg , Lumberton, Purvis, Sumrall.
Lamar County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Lamar County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lamar County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Mississippi Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Lamar County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Lamar County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Lamar County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Lamar County. The dates suggested listed below are the first widely known documents with this county.
- Lamar County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 403 Main St, Purvis, MS 39475
- Lamar County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: (601) 794-3448
- Land Records: 1836 (Includes former Marion County records. Record loss, 1934)
- Probate Records: 1901
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Lamar County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: (601) 794-3470
- Marriage Records: 1903
- Court Records: ?
- Lamar County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Lamar County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Lamar County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Mississippi Historical Records
- Databases include Mississippi Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Mississippi Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Mississippi Voter Lists & Census Records; Mississippi Immigration & Emigration Records; Mississippi Obituary Records; Mississippi Military Records; Mississippi Family Tree Records; Mississippi Pictures; Mississippi Stories, Memories & Histories; Mississippi Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lamar County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lamar County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Lamar County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lamar Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lamar Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lamar Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lamar Co. MS Census Records
Lamar Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lamar Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Lamar Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lamar Co. MS General and History Websites
Lamar Co. MS Immigration & Naturalization
Lamar Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lamar Co. MS Military Records
Lamar Co. MS Schools & Directories